[Sugar-devel] Unicode strings in translations

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Tue Aug 14 16:44:51 EDT 2012

> Unicode (Python Type) is for process text, but for input/output, that
> text will need to be encoded as a string, and for that you will need a
> code charset. Now it's the time to ask: Must we get all the translated
> strings as Unicode and encode them as utf-8? I think there are too few
> cases when an activity gets translated strings and needs to work
> directly with unicode.

Probably because you do not speak chinese or any other asian language.... :)

All our translations are already encoded as utf-8

I tested it:

In my honey directory, with all the activities included by default in OLPC
image:

[gonzalo at nautilus honey]$ grep charset */*/po/*.po | wc
   4118   12354  293287

[gonzalo at nautilus honey]$ grep charset */*/po/*.po | grep -i "utf-8" | wc
   4118   12354  293287

Linux is encoding by default as UTF-8 by years now.

Gonzalo