[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Proposal: Lease expiry information display in My Settings -> About My Computer

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Aug 1 23:56:03 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:55:23AM +0530, Anish Mangal wrote:
> Your probably right. IIRC the idea was to make that information
> visible alongside the Serial Number.

And what I'm saying is that the lease expiry does in no way identify a
system, so it should not be in a section with a title "Identity".

> Does it make sense to move it to Software?

No.

> I don't want to rename the sections because this feature should only
> be visible when the lease file is actually present.

In other words, you do not want to fix the problems with the section
titles.  I understand that.  But you did ask for review.

Looking again at the About my Computer panel, there are other
inconsistencies:

- the Build in the Software section shows the hardware model,
  (hardware model should not be in a Software section),

- the Build shows both the OLPC OS version _and_ the build number,

- the version of Fedora is not shown,

I think the Identity section might change to Hardware, and move the
hardware model up there from Build.

Here's a suggested layout:

Hardware
	Manufacturer: OLPC
	Model: XO-1.5
	Serial Number: SHC9500002A

Firmware:
	System: Q3C09			Wireless: 9.70.20.p0

Software:
	Release: 12.1.0			Build: 18
	Sugar: 0.96.2

The panel already has a scroll bar to fit the "Fill license" item in.

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:00:19AM +0100, Gary Martin wrote:
> If it moves to Software, perhaps it should go below the Firmware
> line? James is that more inkeeping with the implementation? The
> other option is for a new Lease section below the Identity section.

It need not be in keeping with the implementation, that was my
original point.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/