[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Proposal: Contol-Panel packaging

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Wed Aug 1 20:59:54 EDT 2012

On 30 July 2012 23:26, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> The idea works well for users of Dextrose where OLPC-AU as a deployment
> could omit features that are still under development and not show the
> icon the control-panel at all. I'm not asking for anything to be
> removed, just packaged and made available separately.
>
> Once the spec file is altered OOB users would state which of the applets
> to install or substitute their own. The one rub would be having to alter
> the sugar-desktop group definition available from fedora's repos.
>
> Just trying to ease the burden on some of us deployments.

This feature would make maintenance of code and updates in the field
much easier for us.

As a deployment, we would like the choice of which CP applets to
include, or even make substitutions if need be. We don't want to be
making unnecessary patches or building our own Sugar RPM just for
this. That would in effect be a fork of Sugar and become a maintenance
burden for us.

We use yum to provide automatic updates to our XOs in the field, and
we must be mindful that large RPMs can have an impact on the school's
Internet connection. If 400 XOs need to download a ~800KB Sugar RPM,
that's 320MB being downloaded, potentially at the same time.

Sridhar

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Engineering Manager
One Laptop per Child Australia