[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Revisiting Read Activity default font

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Fri Apr 27 06:29:29 EDT 2012

(Resending Guillermo's email to the list...)

------

Well, I suggested Gentium based on the fact that they were looking for
a serif alternative to DejaVu Serif. As far as I know Gentium also has
a good glyph coverage and it is optimized for small body text, so it
seemed a good option.
Anyway I agree that moving to sans would be better, so +1

I also like Delius, but keep in mind that what teachers probably
consider "handwriting" (at least here in Argentina) is a sort of
simplified cursive with some particular features they use to teach
kids to write.
Dave, do you remember in Rosario when one of the students drew an "m"
with an extra arm? It's that one :-p
All the elementary school teachers I know will call "imprenta" (the
name of movable type) to any typeface with disconected glyphs, even if
it's handwritten like Delius.
My gut says that they're refering to that when they ask for handrwriting.

Gez