[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] More topics font related

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Apr 27 01:08:44 EDT 2012

cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com said:
> One element that is critical in all of this, of course, is taking some care
> to investigate the range of languages that any given font can represent.
> I'm sure that much of the discussion will focus on Latin-based alphabets,
> which is fine as far as it goes, and they will often cover Cyrillic as well;
> but I think an absolutely clear understanding of the language coverage
> offered by a particular font is essential before making any 'default'
> choice.

Good point.  Thanks.

I can easily imagine that country A would prefer font X and country B would
prefer font Y.

Is it easy to configure the font for a particular distribution?  If not, how
much work would that be?

In addition to the font name, the size and modifier are also important.  I'm
not sure what the right font-geek word for modifier is.  I'm thinking of
things like bold, narrow, italic...  I've seen a few setups where shifting
from font-x to font-x-bold made things much easier to read.

The details of the monitor (brightness, contrast) and environment (ambient
light) may be important.