[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] More topics font related

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Thu Apr 26 23:55:30 EDT 2012

Manuq already started a thread about fonts in Read,
but there are more topics I want start to discuss, then start a new thread
to no hijack the conversation.

* Fonts included by default in the images:
A OLPC ticket already exist [1] but is not closed,
part of the problem was resolved (Fedora removed the Hersey fonts)
but we continue including a few very similar set of fonts,
and not many options to use the fonts to express or communicate.
You can see the fonts included with this little utility [2]

* Global document font config: when we define a good font for the ebook
reader,
may be that font is good to be the default in Write, Memorize, Laberinth,
Fototoon
and other activities working with text. Should be good have a way to modify
this
configuration in a single place. By example, I think OLPC Australia use a
particular font,
does not have sense they need patch all the activities to change this.

* Handwritten font: teachers have asked about include one handwritten font.

* Fonts to dyslexic people: there are fonts designed to be easier to
identify for dyslexic people.
Do not have mirrored letters, like "d" and "b" or "p" and "q", and have
other subtle design options.
(The Fabula font [3] looks like a good candidate)

Gonzalo

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10812
[2] http://git.sugarlabs.org/many-tests/mainline/blobs/master/test_fonts.py
[3] http://kidstype.org/?q=node/49