[Sugar-devel] Allowing only one sugar activity to run at a time

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 07:24:34 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 4:57 AM, Roshan Karki <roshan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> I was wondering if any one has worked on allowing only one sugar activity to
> run at a time. Here at Nepal, we have received complains from teachers that
> the xo freezes as child tries to open one too many activities. We'd like to
> experiment with allowing  only  one activity to run and when child tries to
> open another one a message would come indicating them the status.
>
> I think this can be easily done by modifying the sugar-activity command to
> check for other running sugar activities. Or is there a better/safer way?
>
> W're running Sugar .82.1 .

An alternative solution would be to update to a more recent version of
Sugar. Since 0.86, we have had a stop button always available on the
main toolbar of every activity, making it easier and more obvious how
to exit an activity. We've also changed the default behavior of the
launcher to open the most recent instance of any activity, so to open
multiple instances of the same activity takes a specific action on the
part of the user. Since these two changes, we've seen a reduction in
the problem you are describing.

regards.

-walter

--