[Sugar-devel] jhbuild in Ubuntu

Sascha Silbe silbe at activitycentral.com
Sat Apr 14 09:02:52 EDT 2012

Excerpts from Manuel Kaufmann's message of 2012-04-14 09:19:48 +0200:

> I've just installed Ubuntu 11.10 in my netbook and I tried to compile
> Sugar on it. I'm getting this error:
>
> humitos at eulogia:~/sugar-jhbuild$ ./sugar-jhbuild depscheck
> Warning: unknown distro version, automatic fallback to unstable.
> ERROR: Dependencies information is missing (unknown distribution/version).

Ubuntu is currently unsupported for sugar-jhbuild [1]. The "automatic
fallback to unstable" message is misleading for Ubuntu, so I've
removed it now (commit df7bd66).

While Ubuntu is based on Debian, they've added problems of their own
that make running Sugar on Ubuntu a PITA (see e.g. [2]) and have shown
no interest of fixing them for several _years_ (which equates to a large
number of releases). For this reason, I'm not spending any more time
myself on getting sugar-jhbuild to work on Ubuntu.

Sascha

[1] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Jhbuild/Ubuntu#Supported_versions
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/325706
--