[Sugar-devel] Mobile dongles - XO-1 with release 11.3.0

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Apr 12 21:43:08 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:28:37AM +1000, David Leeming wrote:
> These work in PNG, tested over Digicel network but I assume they will work
> generally. These might be the standard types used by Digicel in other
> countries. Trick as stated is to put something in the username/password
> fields in My Settings/Modem Config even if those fields are not used.

Yes, that's consistent with my original findings in 2007 with the first
USB modems that appeared in Australia, where the billing was by USIM.

http://quozl.linux.org.au/bp3-usb/

A later redesign of the service here added something useful to username
and password, apparently to reduce theft of devices ... because they
would no longer work if the user did not also have the password.

Whether a username and password is required, and exactly what it should
be, is a function of the firmware and configuration of the USB modem, as
well as the back end servers on the wireless broadband network.

(I know this because I've seen the username and password negotiation
happen between the host and the modem while the modem was nowhere near
any tower, or hidden in a metal box.)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/