[Sugar-devel] Pilas Activity - interesting game engine

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Wed Apr 11 10:04:01 EDT 2012

El día 11 de abril de 2012 10:09, Walter Bender
<walter.bender at gmail.com> escribió:
> 2012/4/11 Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org>:
>> El día 11 de abril de 2012 05:15,  <forster at ozonline.com.au> escribió:
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Pilas
>>>
>>> is interesting, I have translated the English documentation
>>
>> Great you translated it, yes indeed Pilas is great for programming
>> learning.  A internationalization effort was made last year that may
>> end in Pilas running in your own language, so in Spanish you could do
>> "mono.sonreir()" and English "monkey.smile()".  I hope that gets
>> landed soon.
>>
>> The activity was made in a sprint in Argentina.  Is a bit hackish,
>> because it has a big binary with all the Qt dependencies, and works
>> only in XO 1.5 with build 11.3 .  Would be great to see a Cairo port
>> of the engine, it also has a PyGame version (was the original) but is
>> unmaintained.
>>
>>> I can only get it to execute in immediate mode, I expect you can run it from Pippy or Terminal/python but I get import errors when I try
>>
>> I did the dbus communication between GTK (toolbar) and Qt (canvas),
>> that may be the issue to tackle.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> .. manuq ..
>
> Qt. That is a lot to pull in... I have been sitting on a nice Logo
> programming environment because I didn't want to pull in Qt. A Cairo
> port has been on my todo list for a while.

Yes, that's why in the sprint a Qt hacker provided the binaries cutted
with only the functionality that Pilas needed, so no need to pull all
Qt (qt folder in pilas is 23 MB).  But yes, that was done for a
particular olpc build, because maintaining the binary for each arch
would be a lot of work and the file size would be huge.

--
.. manuq ..