[Sugar-devel] Installing gstreamer media codecs on XO-1

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Mon Apr 2 06:51:05 EDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: sugar-devel-bounces at lists.sugarlabs.org
[mailto:sugar-devel-bounces at lists.sugarlabs.org] On Behalf Of Kevin Mark
Sent: Wednesday, 21 March 2012 4:03 p.m.
To: Kevin Mark
Cc: David Leeming; 'Sugar devel'
Subject: Re: [Sugar-devel] Installing gstreamer media codecs on XO-1

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 03:29:03AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:

> > 3. is the update step above necessary (it requires downloading 33MB)
>
> I have not tried this, it may be. I dont know the complete list of rpms
that it
> installed other then the 2 you said.  those 2 might work with the current
> packages or they might need to update a few packages and download the
needed
> dependencies which means the update is needed.  This sounds like it might
need
> a local 'proxy'/mirror server to the needed rpms. so the xo's could do the
'rpm
> update' but would get the 'update' and the needed rpms from a local
server.
> this would need the XOs to alter their rpm repo list.  i'm not a rpm
expert, so
> you'd need to test a solution to ensure it works and does not alter other
> support issues.
>
> old way:
> XO->Fedora server (per each XO over the global internet)
> vs
> new way:
> local Fedora server->Fedora server (via the global internet one time)
> XO->local Fedora server(per each XO over a local area network (LAN))

I am interested in trying this out, as I am going to be doing some teacher
training workshops in remote PNG areas where there is no Internet access.
They will need to view resources that I will be making available on a server
(XS-0.6). It seems that I can't reliably install these codecs from the rpms
alone, without the XO wanting to connect and download stuff. Is there any
way I can set up the mirror server as you describe on the XS, so that I can
carry that to the remote area and have the XOs use that to get the updates?
And how?