[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2011-09-20

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:33:03 EDT 2011

My apologies for the recent silence. I had been distracted by a very
happy occasion: my daughter's wedding.

== Sugar Digest ==

1. It seems that this is the season for Sugar Camps. The Paris Camp
was by all reports quite success. Christoph Derndorfer reported on
Days [1] and [2] of the camp, which focused mainly on deployments and
emerging educational activities from OLPC France. Daniel Drake
reported progress on the Sugar development front during the code
sprint [3] track:

:Raul and myself spent most of last weekend's Sugarcamp Paris working
on removing hippocanvas from Sugar, with some help from Simon too.
This was based on earlier work by Raul and Walter.

:To just give a quick update, we made a lot of progress. Many things
that had been hacked or disabled in the initial efforts were restored
with clean code. We got down to just a handful of closing tasks.

Gustavo Ibarra announced a Sugar Camp [4] in Junin, Buenos Aires,
Argentina] is next weekend: 25, 26 September. There will be Python
programming workshop on the learning platform and Sugar Sugar Code
Sprint.

Also in Paris next week, Sean Daly will represent Sugar Labs in
presenting "OLPC/Sugar Deployment to Madagascar island of Nosy Komba"
at the Open World Forum,

Mariana Ludmila Cortés, Pablo Flores, and I are giving a Sugar
workshop [5] on the tail end of an OLE conference in Mexico City at
the end of the month.

There will be an OLPC San Francisco Community Summit 2011 on Friday,
October 21 at 5:00pm at the SFSU Downtown Campus.

The Prague Sugar Camp at the end of October is coming into focus.
Since Daniel and Raul have made so much progress on the no-hippo work,
we'll be able to spend most of our time looking at Gnome 3.0 and
introspection issues. One by-product of this push to future-proof the
Sugar platform is the re-engagement of some of our key developers,
such as Marco Presenti Gritti, whose code reviews have been most
welcome.

Finally, Somos Azucar announced plans for a Camp in Lima to focus on
Quechua and Aymara translations for mid November.

2. In addition to the aforementioned work on indigenous languages in
Peru, a the Mexican team of about a dozen has completed the Huastec
[6] (Téenek) language localization of Sugar (and most of eToys) in
about one month  See [7]. The same team is looking into working on
Nahuatl work. In Paraguay, there is some work in Guarani. It is great
that Sugar will be available in a child's first language. Having a
strong first language is critical to developing good language skills
in general. Many thanks to Chris Leonard and the many local teams he
is working with. Also, a tip of the hat to Aleksey Lim and Rafael
Ortiz who have been working behind the scenes to sort out issues with
the Pootle workflow.

3. The Butia Team [8] at la Facultad de Ingeniería de la Universidad
de la República has some more Turtle Art plugins: one for Follow Me
and one for Sumo robotics. See [9] and [10]. Plugins [11] are
available.

=== Sugar Labs ===

Gary Martin has generated a SOM from the past few weeks of discussion
on the IAEP mailing list.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:2011-Sept-10-16-som.jpg (49 emails)
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:2011-Sep-3-9-som.jpg (21 emails)
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:2011-Aug-27-Sept-2-som.jpg (40 emails)