[Sugar-devel] de-hippo'd CanvasIcon: windowed or not?

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 18 19:05:01 EDT 2011

On 18 Sep 2011, at 21:59, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

> Trying to answer your initial email more clearly...
>
> 2011/9/15 Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org>:
>> The transparency option seems rather simple, but is perhaps nasty in
>> that it basically decides to mess around with core window stuff when
>> GTK+ has its back turned.
>
> Without having tested, I don't think it's nasty in GTK3, it seems like
> a legitimate, supported use case.
>
>> Also, when icons are overlapping, it seems
>> like the on-top window would receive the mouse event, even if the
>> mouse is physically closer to the centre of an icon that is sitting on
>> a lower layer.
>
> Wouldn't solving this issue generally require to test if the mouse
> event is contained in the widget shape? Anyway I'm not sure this is
> something we need to solve now, I can't think of cases in our UI where
> it's important and it would not be a regression compared to hippo.

Also worth noting that, in the case of potential touch, or touch only UIs, the design needs to avoid such close overlaps between finger sized targets. Accurate masks are great for Asteroid game type collision detection but not a good requirement for fat fingered, or poor motor controlled cursor interactions.

Finger and cursor click target noise are fat and round, I love to hear there are some low level 'where statistically did the user really intend to hit' type events, am I dreaming? This obviously also causes issues for targets at the screen edge, but that's another issue...

--Gary