[Sugar-devel] [Localization] [ANNOUNCE] 0.94 schedule update: still on track

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Sep 15 02:30:16 EDT 2011

On 09/13/2011 11:03 PM, Markus Schlager wrote:
> Hi Simon,

Thanks Markus for the feedback,

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>
>> There have been one interesting string change in the last week: there
>> are two entries in the sugar.po that translate the same string
>> ('Remove') but where the context is different. This has been marked
>> now using pgettext. Chris has pulled that change to Pootle and all
>> langs sugar.po have been refreshed. An example can be seen at [3][4].
>> Please give feedback if that addition was helpful to do a better
>> translation or if anything can be improved.
>
> Context-information is great for translation. In this example, 'volume'
> as hint was not particularly helpful to me, since this has at least two
> very different meanings in German. 'clipboard' on the other hand was
> clear anyway since the source-hint says something about clipboard-menu.

Maybe the text should be more verbose. How about: 'remove item from
clipboard' and 'eject the external device'

> One type of content-information I'd appreciate a lot would be about the
> function/type of text this is: Is it e.g. a button lable, a menu entry,
> a help text, ...

How would that be done, as well with msgctxt using pgettext? Or are
there other ways? In general that would be a bigger effort and would
need to define a few guidelines for that but can be done of course if
the translator community thinks this would help a lot.

Regards,
    Simon