[Sugar-devel] Features/GTK3 updated

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Sep 6 18:08:10 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti <marco at marcopg.org> wrote:
> On 1 September 2011 17:41, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/GTK3 has been updated.
>> Ready for the next round of feedback!
>
> Did we consider moving from gconf to gsettings? It's not strictly
> necessary but it seems like it should be straightforward and perhaps a
> good idea while we are breaking API.

It's been mentioned, but so far I've been unconvinced of strapping it
onto an already huge project.

GConf does have introspectable bindings, and while nobody is
contesting moving to gsettings, its effects would be limited to sugar
(not activities) and it would be an invisible change to the user. So
it doesn't need to be bolted onto the GTK3 project, and I think its
simpler to keep it separate, but it could certainly happen immediately
after as a separate step, and your help would be much appreciated
there.

> Is there any way to track the status of this work? For example I've
> seen mentions of several dehippoification branches but I'm not sure if
> they landed yet.

Yeah, there are a few branches around. A handful of patches have landed.
This weekend we'll be in paris to work on things like this. I'll make
sure that at the end of the session we have definitive documentation
of pending patches, and I'll put this on the Features/GTK3 page. Feel
free to join us on #sugar Saturday/Sunday/Monday if you want to help!

cheers
Daniel