[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Labyrinth - Maze

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:24:56 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Rafael Ortiz <rafael at activitycentral.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> Unfortunately this is tricky as translation for Maze and Labyrinth are
>>> very much alike in Spanish. Synonyms
>>> don't work either. (one for example is entanglement)
>>>

>> What I am suggesting is that something like "MapasMentales" could be
>> used.  Not very true to the author's string, but nonetheless a meaningful
>> name to the user for an activity that is essentially a mind mapping tool
>> (and not a labyrinth at all)
>>
>> That would work :).

It is not the first time we've encountered this issue.  No one talks about
the "Oficina" activity, we talk about "Paint" (although the po file is still
named oficina.po in Pootle).

I have great respect for the work of activity authors, but I have no problem
with the idea of pointing out a "clever" activity name as an i18n bug and
working with the author to address it.  In the meantime, I hold by my belief
that the localizer's highest duty is to the comprehension of the user and
not to the wordplay of the activity author.  The localizer is given the
ability through the PO file to address an issue like this pending
succcessful discussion with the author about a filed i18n bug

cjl