[Sugar-devel] Adding git to Sugar platform?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 01:31:48 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Gary Martin
<garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Just to clarify, as yum install git is about the first thing I do (closely followed by yum install vim and pylint) on a fresh XO install I remembered to take a note of the install size – for the current olpc candidate 882 build, yum reports git install size as 11Mb (on XO-1.75) and 12Mb on an XO-1. It just pulls in 3 packages, git, perl-Error, and perl-Git.

I think your numbers there understimate the situation. The Perl dep
chain is closer to what Peter reports.

I (obviously) love git, but the impact of shipping it is sizable. A
pre-requisite for would be to convince fedora git packager to whittle
git down to a "git-minimal" that doesn't include the Perl bits.

(Alas, I checked and some of the core commands use perl -- I used to
think it was just email and importers.)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions