[Sugar-devel] Multilingual Help activity: which localisation tools (was Re: Potential volunteer offering technical writing)

samy boutayeb s.boutayeb at free.fr
Wed Oct 5 16:39:23 EDT 2011

Hola Gonzalo,

Le mercredi 05 octobre 2011 à 17:01 -0300, Gonzalo Odiard a écrit :

> In my personal opinion, Pootle is not good for doing a job like this.
> And is possible do the translation of a UI piece by piece, but a text
> need a
>
> different conceptual integrity and style.

Your point is very convincing. I agree with you that the tool used
should be adequate and contribute to the final quality of a
documentation project.

Moreover, the fact that the writing process is carried out by a team of
people with variable writing skills constitutes an additional factor of
risk as quality is concerned. Such projects are challenging, even
professional writers.

In any case - and the translation project of the manual authored by
Sdenka Zobeida Salas Pilco OLPC Frances volunteers have contributed to
confirms your own experience - it requires an additional step to
harmonize the writing style and the terminology between the different
contributors, even in a technical document, which is supposed to be
factual and less prone to stylistic variations as with other texts.

Kind regards,

Samy