[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Usage statistics gathering

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Nov 29 13:56:50 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Aleksey Lim
<alsroot at activitycentral.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 04:33:44PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>> We face similar challenges - we only have a few XS-AU servers out
>> there. We'll have to cache information and sync it back to the server
>> once Internet connectivity is re-established.
>
> For that reason, I'm planing to work on a pilot program for school
> server on a XO for Peru, as you said, it is similar to Australian needs
> and will be useful to try to cover bother regions to learn about needed
> functionality.
>
> --
> Aleksey

FWIW, we used a school server late into the process in Jamaica. We
gave out the XOs unregistered, but with their GNOME switching icon
removed. At the end of the term, we got all the XOs registered with
the school server and backed up all the journals on the server over
the next few days. Once we got all the journals, we wiped the XOs for
the next term/batch of children.

We've been looking at ParaguayEduca's scripts to gather data from the
journals and process them, but not much has come of it as yet.
http://wiki.paraguayeduca.org/index.php/Analisis_de_Uso_de_Actividades
The scripts do not work out of the box (or we don't know how to use
them).

I agree that in instances where a school server is missing, there
needs to be a way to gather logs on the XO/in Sugar, but by taking a
school server and registering all XOs with it, it is possible to
gather Journals much later in the process.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Sameer Verma, Ph.D.