[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Usage statistics gathering

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Tue Nov 29 12:14:28 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:15:06AM +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 09:43:46AM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > I'm confused - there seem to be two implementations of what looks to
> > be the same thing!
> >
> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Server_Kit/Usage_Statistics#Monitor
> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Statistics_gathering
>
> No, they appear to be entirely different implementations with similar
> names, possibly misusing the term statistics.  What they both lack is
> any detailed requirements from a statistician or researcher.  Perhaps
> you could engage your respected researchers to provide a list of data
> that would be meaningful to capture?  Reasoning behind each data would
> be useful.

The background, is:

    Sebastian was working on the initial implementation using the model
    of having statistics code in the shell sources. The new model should
    be more reliable and useful from several points of view (I already
    posted reasons to this thread).

The 1st step on this way is (which doesn't relate to possible
implementations):

1) pure technical implementation
2) fulfil the needs of reserchers who will uswe statistics

To accomplish this step:

* Sridhar is working on 2) for Australia, Peru might need some special
  options for 2) and that will be solved on the way, since all devs
  of this feature are in Peru right now
* SSK's implementation for 1) is pretty low level by design, ie, blocks
  that will be composed to the full picture to fullfil any possible 2)

--
Aleksey