[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Transfer to many

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Nov 15 07:57:50 EST 2011

El 15/11/11 13:39, Walter Bender escribió:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to propose the following Feature for inclusion into Sugar:
>> "Transfer to many" [1].
>>
>> At the moment it is only possible to transfer a Journal entry to another
>> learner one by one. Teachers have asked that they would like to transfer a
>> file to all the class for example easily (hand out a book, assignment etc).
>
> Not the only possible way: if a book is shared in the neighborhood
> view, each child can download it by joining the Read activity. In your
> proposal, I presume each child needs to accept the transfer
> notification, so there has to be an action taken by each intended
> recipient in any case. The difference being that book won't be opened
> at the time of transfer in your scenario (not sure that is a feature).
> But presumably teachers don't like this method?

I think transferring with a group of learners any Journal entry is the
goal. Read (transfer a book) is only one case, it will break for others.

>> One simple idea is to add an entry to the Journal item palette that does a
>> 'send-to-all friends'. The question is where to place the option in the
>> palette. As the first option which might cause accidental triggering.
>> Furthermore the way we handle the transfer related notifications in the
>> frame should change (as described at [2]).
>>
>> A long standing issue that does play into that discussion is grouping of
>> learners. Currently the only option to group a number of people is to friend
>> them.
>
> Is that so unreasonable? Adding all of the children in a class -- once
> -- at the beginning of the term?

It brakes if you consider several classes? Groups come into play here as
well, which have been discussed before already [1].

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Transfer_to_many#Documentation