[Sugar-devel] State of Palettes for GTK+ 3.x

Benjamin Berg benzea at sugarlabs.org
Fri Nov 4 05:10:57 EDT 2011

Hello,

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 23:54 +0000, Gary Martin wrote:
> This could only really work sanely from a design point of view if
> exposing a palette via a cursor hover/loiter also went away i.e.
> having to click outside somewhere to dismiss a palette that was auto
> triggered by a hovering action would be a painful UX. I guess this all
> stems from the design decision to have widgets with hover/right-click
> context menus that also have primary left-click actions. For touch,
> we'll need to cover this cast by having a touch and hold gesture mimic
> our current hover/right-click behaviour.

Hm, I had not thought about the primary action yet. A touch and hold
gesture seems like a pretty good solution. I guess we will also want the
action to be accessible from a button inside the palette itself.

I am wondering about the buttons that only use palettes as tooltips. In
this case requiring the user to hold down for a while might be a bit
weird, even if it is consistent with other palettes. But then, without
hover you never get normal tooltips ...

Benjamin