[Sugar-devel] SunMoonMusic Activity does not open in Mango Lassi

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue May 31 12:13:07 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Art Hunkins <abhunkin at uncg.edu> wrote:

> James,
>
> Thanks both for your well-expressed advice, as well as your continued
> interest in my musical projects. I've recently had several "go's" at git -
> and thanks to your help, did not experience heart failure (it went quite
> well in fact).
>
> I've discovered what was wrong, and so file your suggestions for my next
> set of troubles.
>
> I've been using primarily 1GB USB sticks, which (with Mango especially)
> doesn't leave much extra room (I use the LiveUSB Creator, reserving the
> remainder of the stick's space). The hitch about Mango is that it doesn't
> allow you to delete any activities, *and* once you add some, you can't
> delete *them* either - even though there is an option to do so.
>
> I always load in my six activities, two of which (with sound files) are 7MB
> each. I've apparently always loaded in the big ones prior to SunMoonMusic.
> It seems the stick just runs out of space. If I load SunMoonMusic before the
> others, it opens and runs fine.
>
> I would hope that all distributions would allow for deleting activities,
> *especially* those added by the user. (This seems to be intended; is
> probably a bug in Mango Lassi.) Many previous distros allowed you to delete
> any activity you wanted.

The only activities where deleting is disabled are pre-installed ones. The
ones you install should be able to be deleted. If not, this is a bug.

Regarding the decision to make pre-installed activities permanent, it is
driven by Sugar deployments: teachers requested that certain activities
always be available. Which ones is a deployment x deployment decision. For
SoaS, we have a very limited set of pre-installed activities, but as the
Fedora image grows, the user-space shrinks.

FWIW, from the Terminal Activity, you can delete the pre-loaded activities
in /usr/share/sugar

regards.

-walter

> BTW, I enjoyed your tunes, especially the last few. The "fiddle tune" in
> triplets is particularly fetching.
>
> Thanks again -
>
> Art Hunkins
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "James Cameron" <quozl at laptop.org>