[Sugar-devel] Non-maintainer uploads of activities

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2011-2 at silbe.org
Sat May 28 10:46:32 EDT 2011

Hi!

I would like to propose adopting the Debian Non-Maintainer-Upload (NMU)
process [1] for Fructose. Individual activity authors would also be
encouraged to allow their activities to be NMU'ed following this policy.
The sections I'd consider applicable to Sugar Labs are 5.11.1, 5.11.2
(read debian/changelog as Release Notes) and 5.11.4. Since the version
number rules are different in Sugar, the NMU should append ".1" instead
of "+nmu1" (e.g. "123.1" for an NMU based on the maintainer release
"123").

A few key points:
- NMUs are only to be done for bug fixes
- all bugs that get fixed by the NMU must have been reported in the BTS
  [2]
- the maintainer must have been given sufficient time to act (rule of
  thumb: 2-10 days depending on the severity of the bug that gets fixed)

The Infrastructure Team [3] would be authorised to manage permissions
on git.sl.o and a.sl.o as needed for the NMU to happen.

Since Sugar Labs lacks an equivalent of the Debian New Maintainer
process [4], I would like to add a requirement that the uploader has
successfully gone through review for a Sucrose (Glucose + Fructose)
package at least once and their patch been included in mainline. Note:
Patch author and uploader can be different persons.

Sascha

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu
[2] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/
[3] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team