[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] copy-to-option in Journal (part of removing the keep button)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue May 24 05:09:12 EDT 2011

On 05/20/2011 04:02 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> at the EduJam we discussed the need to remove the 'Keep'/'Keep as' button
>> from the activity toolbar. Part of that removal is an option to easily copy
>> a Journal entry / make a duplicate of a Journal entry. While preparing a
>> patch for that I came over a few cleanups which I would like to share with
>> the design team first before finishing up the patch and sending for review.
>>

> Thanks for diving into this. I think it will make a huge difference,
>

>> First I want to describe what the situation is now:
>>
>> [0] The copy option in the palette in the Journal list view will trigger a
>> 'copy to clipboard'.
>>
>> [1] In the detail view of a Journal entry clicking on the button will do a
>> 'copy to clipboard' and the secondary option in the palette will let you
>> copy to a storage device if available.
>>
>> [2] The palette of an entry of a storage device lets you 'copy to
>> clipboard'.
>>
>> [3] In the detail view of a storage device entry clicking on the button
>> will do a 'copy to clipboard' and the secondary option in the palette will
>> let you copy to the Journal.
>>

>> Following the design idea in
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Journal-04.jpeg I think it would be
>> great to introduce a copy-to option to make things clearer.
>>
>> [4] The copy option in the palette in the Journal list view will be called
>> 'Copy to' and the secondary options will contain: 'Clipboard', 'Journal' and
>> storage devices if available.
>>

> +1
>

>> [5] In the detail view of a Journal entry the secondary option in the
>> palette will let you copy to the Journal and to a storage device if
>> available. The option will be renamed to 'Copy to'. Not part of the
>> screenshot: I would add here as well the option for copying to the Clipboard
>> (first) and when clicking on the button reveal the palette to show the
>> options.
>>

> +1
>

>> [6] The copy option in the palette in the storage view will be called 'Copy
>> to' and the secondary options will contain: 'Clipboard' and 'Journal'. Not
>> part of the screenshot: I guess we could add here as well the option of
>> making a copy of the item and save it to the storage device(s) (would be
>> consistent with the option in the Journal list view).
>>

> +1
>

>> [7] In the detail view of a the storage device entry the secondary option
>> in the palette will let you copy to the Journal. The option will be renamed
>> to 'Copy to'. Not part of the screenshot: I would add here as well the
>> option for copying to the Clipboard (first) and when clicking on the button
>> reveal the palette to show the options. I guess we could add here as well
>> the option of making a copy of the item and save it to the storage device(s)
>> (would be consistent with the option in the Journal detail view).

> [...]

Thanks for that hint. At the moment the behavior is that you can copy
any entry to the clipboard, but you can not open it then with any
activity if you for example copy a Memorize activity entry to the
clipboard. If there is an associated file (terminal activity entry) you
can copy this to the clipboard and then open the textfile in another
activity.

I would suggest that we handle it like we do when we copy to an external
device: if the entry has no file associated with it, display an error
message and do not copy it (screenshot attached).

Regards,
    Simon