[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Please review "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" on Amazon

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Thu May 19 14:40:41 EDT 2011

Caryl,

You can review a book even if you haven't bought it.  You just need an
account on Amazon.  And while it is true that three sales had a
dramatic effect on the book's ranking, I would expect diminishing
returns to kick in pretty soon.

> P.S.  What are the chances of getting the Spanish version on Amazon?

Pretty good, I'd say.  All you would need to do is generate an EPUB
from Booki, make some simple modifications to it (adding Table Of
Contents and cover image), and run the free kindlegen program against
it.  I gave the details on how to do this in a previous email, and I
made the same information into a post for the Booki Blog that is being
reviewed.  I may also put the information as a chapter in "E-Book
Enlightenment".  Even though Sugar does not support reading MOBI files
you can use Booki on the XO, so having students publish their work in
the Kindle Store is doable, especially with one of the newer XOs that
support both Sugar and GNOME.

We'd have to wait until we had a definitive version of the book, and
the lead translator should probably do the publishing (and get
whatever profits there may be).  Amazon lets you list multiple
contributors on the page for the book, so if there were multiple
translators they could all be listed.  I could be listed as an author
even if I didn't submit the book.

It would be a good idea to post PDF, EPUB, and MOBI of the Spanish
version on the Internet Archive at the same time as the Kindle Store.

What would help other than reviews would be to get more FLOSS Manuals
on Amazon.  That way anyone finding one of them would get recommended
to read the rest of them.  Some of the FLOSS Manuals are pretty well
known, like the CiviCRM manual and the one on Circumventing Internet
Censorship.  It would make sense to get those books on the Kindle and
all the other FLOSS Manuals would benefit too.

Thanks,

James Simmons