[Sugar-devel] [OLPC-AU] Search in Favourites View is disabled

Bastien bzg at altern.org
Tue May 17 06:01:36 EDT 2011

James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 02:57:47PM +0200, Bastien wrote:
>> - such an accidental blank screen could display a warning about ongoing
>>   search bringing no result;
>
> Yes, and that's what the Journal now does.  The list view does not.

It would be useful both in the list view and in the Home circle view --
if the search field is to become usable one day (which I hope).

Btw, I think this search field in Home view would be particularily
useful when children use a classical desktop view (with icons spread
everywhere on the screen).

>> - combine two notions: "sticky icons" (always in the home circle view)
>>   and "favorites".  For now, favorites are used as sticky icons... not
>>   really as favorites.
>
> I do find it odd that to reach non-favourite activities the learner
> needs to use the list view button or the Ctrl+2 accelerator for the list
> view ... but on the other hand, I can see the use-case in teaching
> context; start the year with few favourites, and include the favouring
> as part of the lesson plan.

My proposal is to distinguish "sticky activities" from "favorite
activities": the former are the one deployments and teachers want
always in the Home view, the latter are the ones the children want
for some reason, for some time.

--
 Bastien