[Sugar-devel] I'd like to put "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" on the Kindle store

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon May 9 10:39:57 EDT 2011

Right now the FLOSS Manual "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" is
available on the FM website, as a bound and printed book from Lulu, as
a free PDF download from Lulu, and in PDF, EPUB, and MOBI formats on
the Internet Archive.  I'd like to add the Kindle Store to this list.
I would price it at 99 cents, and in the Introduction I would add some
text explaining where the book could be downloaded for free, so if
someone got a free preview from the Kindle store he would not be
required to pay the 99 cents unless he wished to.  The profits from
these purchases, if there are any, would go to me.  If Oprah chooses
the book as one of her Favorite Things I might be persuaded to share
the windfall with Sugar Labs and/or FLOSS Manuals.  Don't count on
this happening.

The Amazon Kindle uses the MOBI format, and it will be a fair amount
of work for me to convert the EPUB I can get from Booki to what Amazon
requires.  Among other things I need to create a cover image and a
Table Of Contents with links, plus I need to clean up the page
formatting.  I will not change the licensing of the book or use DRM,
but I WILL put my name on the cover image and other places as
appropriate.  I will use a new cover image because the picture used on
the bound and printed book was given to me by the artist with the
understanding that I wouldn't be making any money on the book.

Right now if you look "One Laptop Per Child" on the Kindle Store you
get three items returned.  If what I propose to do works well it might
be a good idea to get other FLOSS Manuals, especially OLPC and
Sugar-related titles, on there as well.

James Simmons