[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] XO1 | Same hardware, slower internet

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.org
Mon Mar 28 18:01:55 EDT 2011

Hi,

With time, as hardware gets more complex, software gets bloated up to
use the excess processor cycles available. A part of it is the
websites that get more content heavy, bulky and slow with time.
Considering that the hardware on the XO-1 is not going to get any
faster, and websites _are_ going to get bulkier, I see a problem
gradually arising.

For example, Google image search, blogger and other similar services
have recently refreshed their websites to be more user friendly at the
cost of being heavier. I have seen kids trying to use these heavier
websites in the classroom and it results in more time being wasted
because of a overall slower computer.

I would like to get opinions on what will be an increasingly
significant issue, as websites get more complex and the hardware
essentially remains the same.

--
Anish