[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Contact sheet for all sugar-artwork icons

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 04:22:07 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Christian Marc Schmidt
<christianmarc at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is great Gary, thanks so much! Most of the icons are already very good
> and quite consistent. And there are a few we could definitely improve.
> I see we already have both a wrench and a cog. But the more I think about
> it, it seems that preferences could be a form with checkboxes, or even a
> pencil making a checkmark. Seems that the message we want to communicate is
> "having a choice", more than the "inner workings" implied by the cog/gear.
> What do you think?

In my applications at least, there is more than just choosing
involved. Users make their own versions of things, with parameters and
graphics of their own making; and in the case of Turtle Art, they can
reprogram the blocks. I am leaning towards the spanner (wrench).

-walter

> Christian
>

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Gary C Martin
>> <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> For some time I've been meaning to create a contact sheet for all
>>> sugar-artwork svg icons to help as a quick reference, and for general icon
>>> polishing/standardisation. Finally – having been fiddling with svg xml for
>>> my SOM generation code – I got around to the task:
>>>
>>>        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Sugar-artwork.png
>>>
>>> Christian: Given the Design Meeting conversation on Sunday, you might be
>>> interested in 5 along, 7 down (view-source AKA the cog), and 2 along, 8 down
>>> (preferences-system AKA the spanner).
>>>
>>> Gonzalo: You might like to check out 12 along, 9 down (camera-external)
>>> for re: your Record toolbar work as I think it gives a stronger, more sugar
>>> standard version of a camera icon than currently shown in your mockups
>>> (would need to update your video and microphone icon styles to match):
>>>
>>>        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Godiard/Record/NewToolbar
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Do you have more comments about the mockups?
>> A comment and a question about the icons: The loupe (6 along, 5 down)
>> looks bigger than the other icons (in WIkibrowse is very visible). The
>> question: The arrows up and down with the media icon inside, are supposed to
>> be used to transfer media or to save/load from journal? I think are better
>> to transfer, but i saw these used to save to/load from the journal
>> Regards,
>>
>> Gonzalo
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> --Gary