[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Infra-red photography with the XO camera

Anish Mangal anish at sugarlabs.org
Thu Mar 17 23:58:28 EDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 00:38, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:

> I hate to mention this, but the specs for the XO camera module include
> an IR blocking filter (coating) on the lens.  Otherwise, the COMS imagers are
> unduly sensitive to IR.

That is unfortunately true, as the last image on the wiki page would
suggest, but it still doesn't cut off all IR radiation. Even modern
DSLR cameras come with the IR-cut filter right in front of the sensor,
but cranking up the ISO and blocking the visible spectrum can still
result in some nice IR images (with whatever little IR that passes
through).

If someone can get the night mode on the camera to work, it might turn
out to be an interesting experiment ;-)