[Sugar-devel] Interesting USB-pluggable robots, controller boards, and sensors

Rafael Ortiz rafael at activitycentral.com
Wed Mar 16 21:37:59 EDT 2011

Hi.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 7:45 PM, <forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:

> Hi
> An exciting new robotics idea from Guzman Trinidad.
>
> Turtle Art is programmed to produce two different frequencies. The
> headphone output of the XO is connected to a pair of LM567 integrated
> circuit tone decoders, each of which lights a LED when its input signal
> frequency is present. With this principle we could control any device.
>
>  *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVzVlAZsz1w*
>
> Nice work.

> To be widely adopted, robotics kits need to be low cost and be "low entry
> high ceiling". Guzman's idea has the potential to lower the cost.
>
> My estimates:
>
> Lego NXT $500
> Lego Wedo $170
> Scratch sensor board $45
> Arduino $40
> PICAXE $15 (
> http://littlebirdelectronics.com/products/picaxe14m-starter-pack)
> LM567 decoder board $?
>
> I am unaware if anybody has looked at the PICAXE and the XO, could be worth
> looking at.
>
> I am assuming that the cost of many of these kits is too high for the
> markets into which the XO is shipping.

Robotics kits are always costly, but in my opinion
the lower cost ones could be achieved with Arduino+sensors+electronic
components+recycled components (for platforms).

In that sense I also think that is better at least at
beginning (low ages kids) to work with a physical-computing or
automation toolkit, learning to automate things
gets you engaged with problem solving using electronics. later on you can
apply that concepts
in Robotics.

I'm guessing one can have a physical-computing n kit for about 100USD or
less.

see for example.

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=170&zenid=39e9a873fc5ddb3699a85a83519b91c7