[Sugar-devel] [Design] [Patches] New Toolbars in Activities

Sebastian Silva sebastian at somosazucar.org
Thu Mar 10 13:13:53 EST 2011

Hello / Hola,

As some of you know I started working with Activity Central last week,
as an Activity Developer.
My tasks will be to improve our Activities and also I consider, make
life easier for activity developers.

I'm looking forward to sharing more of what we do and have already
signed up with the Activities Team.

My first contribution is to update the toolbars in several activities.
In the process I've run into some design decisions. In particular, with
activities with few actions, updating the toolbar concealed the actions
behind a ToolbarButton (see Get Books, for example). This did not seem
right, so I took the liberty of moving main actions to the main toolbar.
>From
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/New_Toolbar_Design#Benefit_to_Sugar -
/"Make process of switching between toolbars more clear, use tool
buttons that are showing all the time (in main toolbar), i.e., having
Close/Help buttons visible all the time could be very useful."/ seems to
support my decision.

I've updated
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/TODO#Activity_Feature_Requests with
the following.
Activity 	Git repo with patches 	Comment
Typing Turtle
git://git.sugarlabs.org/~icarito/typing-turtle/typing-turtle-icarito.git 	DONE.
Waiting for merge request.
StopWatch 	git://git.sugarlabs.org/stopwatch/stopwatch.git 	DONE. Moved
Share and Keep buttons to main toolbar.
Help 	git://git.sugarlabs.org/~icarito/help/help-newui.git 	DONE. Put
navigation in main bar (like in Browse). Waiting for merge request.
Distance 	git://git.sugarlabs.org/distance/distance.git 	DONE by dirakx.
Maze 	git://git.sugarlabs.org/~icarito/maze/icaritos-mainline.git 	DONE.
Moved Share to main bar. Waiting for merge request.
Get Books
git://git.sugarlabs.org/~icarito/get-books/icaritos-mainline.git 	DONE.
Moved book actions to main toolbar. Waiting for merge request.
Words 	- 	Working on iticarito
<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Icarito>13:00, 10 March 2011 (EST).
The UI can be improved.
Jukebox 	- 	Working on iticarito
<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Icarito>13:00, 10 March 2011 (EST).

I'd appreciate some feedback and peer review - as well as attention to
the pending merge requests. Also on the dev workflow.

Thanks, I'm happy to finally contribute code again.

Sebastian