[Sugar-devel] FYI: cocosCairo for PyGTK/PyCairo

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 18:31:13 EST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeremy Flores <i.am at jeremyflor.es>
Date: Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:05 PM
Subject: cocosCairo for PyGTK/PyCairo
To: walter.bender at gmail.com

Hi Walter,

We met briefly early last year through Barry Vercoe, at which time I
showed you a UI framework called cocosCairo that I was working on for
my undergraduate thesis to benefit Sugar. I've had some time to
finally clean up the code, and it might be of use to the developer
community.

You can find the source code in its entirety here:

https://github.com/jeremyflores/cocosCairo

The resultant thesis, which details the features built into cocosCairo
which address various issues with using PyGTK and PyCairo:

http://jeremyflor.es/has.a/thesis.pdf

There are a few demo videos here (they were created entirely within
cocosCairo, including a built-in module which renders video files):

http://www.youtube.com/cocoscairo#p/u

There are some techniques I've used which might be useful independent
of the framework. For example, SVGSprite uses XML manipulation to
dynamically alter the structure of an SVG file in-memory. It also
renders the SVG directly instead of first rendering to a pixel buffer
so that rendering the SVG to a larger size than originally specified
in the file won't result in pixelation.

If there's sufficient interest, I might have some availability to put
together tutorials/guides for using it.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Jeremy