[Sugar-devel] Interesting USB-pluggable robots, controller boards, and sensors

Emiliano Pastorino epastorino at plan.ceibal.edu.uy
Wed Mar 9 07:25:07 EST 2011

> Emiliano has Arduino + TA working, I think. Needs to be reworked as a
> plugin in the new TA plugins model (which seems excellent).

Yes, it's working. We don't know if we're going to use them, but I plan to
create
a plugin anyway.

On the Uy/Ceibal side, I really want to know which Arduino they are
> using, and the exact sensors too. So we document that in wiki.l.o, buy
> the exact same kit here, and fold it into our test plans.

We bought a kit from sparkfun.com last year which I think is no longer
available
(dev-09284)
Anyway, these are the items icluded:
Arduino Duemilanove (ATmega328)
Light sensor SEN-09088 <http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9088>
Buzzer COM-07950 <http://www.sparkfun.com/products/7950>
Trim pot COM-9288 <http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9288>
Temperature sensor SEN-00250 <http://www.sparkfun.com/products/250>
Tricolor LED COM-09264 <http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9264>
Button COM-09190 <http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9190>
Jumper wires PRT-08431 <http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8431>
We also bought a motor shield for driving more motors:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/

Turtle Art Arduino, at least when I last ran it, requires Firmata software
> in the Arduino

Yes, we're using Firmata in the Arduino.

Correct. The current TA+NXT is based on the nxt_python library, which
> works "tethered", so the NXT controller acts as a dumb slave of the
> XO.

I think there's a function in nxt-python that lets you upload a program to
the nxt brick. I'll check it out later. Right now I'm working on a plugin
for
the new plugins model for TA.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> Thanks Tony. Added to the wiki page
>
> Gonzalo
>

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:09 PM, <forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Turtle Art Arduino, at least when I last ran it, requires Firmata software
>> in the Arduino. So the Arduino is acting as a dumb I/O expansion board and
>> is not being programmed as an autonomous robot. The user is programming in
>> TurtleArt. I used the Arduino Duemilanove but I don't think the version
>> matters much.
>> http://tonyforster.blogspot.com/search/label/Arduino
>>
>> > Emiliano has Arduino + TA working, I think. Needs to be reworked as a
>> > plugin in the new TA plugins model (which seems excellent).
>> >
>> > On the Uy/Ceibal side, I really want to know which Arduino they are
>> > using, and the exact sensors too. So we document that in wiki.l.o, buy
>> > the exact same kit here, and fold it into our test plans.

Ing. Emiliano Pastorino
Centro Ceibal
Av. Italia 6201 Ed. Los Ceibos
Montevideo, Uruguay