[Sugar-devel] Moon string translation difficulties

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 20 09:05:40 EDT 2011

Hi Chris,

I just wanted to ping and ask your opinion on how best to help translators know what to do when they encounter variable string formatting of some kind. For example, while trying to manually fix up strings with missing /n line ends in ps.po (to get a release out today), I've also just noticed that all the translated strings fail to include the value data and formatting. This renders the information panel useless as it will contain no actual luna information other than static text, it might even cause the activity to crash on launch.

Do we need to fill the source with #TRANS: comments describing string formatters?

I usually run my activity tests in English, Spanish, sometimes French, and maybe one other for curiosity, just to make sure translation locale files are working in a bundle release. Testing more than that becomes rather time prohibitive. Are there any other tools you are aware of that could be used check the validity of strings so we can focus testing on the problem cases?

Regards,
--Gary