[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] More 'human' voice synth (TTS)

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 10:10:22 EDT 2011

I've had some experience with TTS from developing Read Etexts.
Originally, I used speech-dispatcher, which provided a way of writing
apps that used TTS without knowing what TTS engine was being used
underneath.  There were a couple of problems with that.  Since more
than one engine was supported, the RPM for speech-dispatcher needed to
have them all installed.  Second, you needed to configure it.

Aleksey Lim came up with a gstreamer plugin for espeak that needed no
configuration, and that's what we've been using ever since.

One problem we have with TTS is doing highlighting.  An XO laptop is
not fast enough to make the highlighted word keep up with the word
being spoken.  (The gstreamer plugin does callbacks just before it
speaks a word, and these callbacks are used to highlight the words).
A slightly faster computer is enough to resolve the problem.  If
Festival needed more horsepower to run than espeak it would make a bad
situation worse.

James Simmons