[Sugar-devel] new SoaSv5 test image - Last change to test andfix issues

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 21:53:25 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> {...}
>>

>>> 4) Main issue #2: activities only start 50% of the time. This is true
>>> for *all* activities. It's not clear why an activity will start one time and
>>> not another (it prints "didn't start" message). With Mango Lassi, this
>>> happens occasionally/rarely for me; here it happens *a lot*.
>>>

>> Yes, I'm seeing this on a LiveUSB key but not on a standard Fedora 15
>> install with sugar (same release), it seems to have only started recently,
>> or maybe regressed more recently,
>>
> This problem also occurs with Sugar in standard Fedora-15 Desktop (Linux
> Dell 2.6.38.7-30.fc15.x86_64, fully updated) when the Sugar environment is
> selected at login.
>
> I noticed from the yum.log that dbus-libs was updated:
>

> Jun 01 22:32:44 Installed: 1:dbus-libs-1.4.6-4.fc15.i686
>
> https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2892#comment:3
>
>          --Fred
>

>> but I'm not sure of what the fix is. It really needs a Sugar dev to look
>> closer at it but they don't seem to be interested at the moment.
>>

>>> I thought maybe this had something to do with the USB drives I'd made
>>> with LiveUSB Creator. It doesn't. I created two: one 2GB, one 4GB with all
>>> memory protected.
>>>

>> It might be something to do with the live image vs a full install. It
>> almost seems timing oriented.
>>

> {...}
>>

> Peter

Booting SoaS 5 with a disconnected Ethernet cable eliminates this problem.

It seems that the crowded jabber.sugarlabs.org Neighborhood (see the
attached Neighborhood screenshot) interferes with the Activity startup
process.
I noticed the same startup failures (same trackbacks) on an XO-1 with OLPC
os23 when set to the jabber.sugarlabs.org Neighborhood.

https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2892#comment:4

      --Fred