[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Easter Egg In Moon Activity?

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 14 20:25:41 EDT 2011

Hi Caryl,

On 14 Jun 2011, at 16:31, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Is there an "Easter Egg" in the Moon Activity?  Last December I turned on my XO to see what the moon would look like durning the last Lunar Eclipse.  It was pink!

:)

> Was this a fluke? ... my imagination?  or a fun thing put in by the developer of the Moon Activity?  Don't know for sure. But, even though the eclipse, set for tomorrow in parts of Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia, won't be visable in North America, it might be on the XO!  Be sure to check the time... there is an international date line involved.  When the eclipse ended, the moon returned to a greyscale image.

Yes, luna and solar eclipse events are in Moon. I have somewhat limited data [1] and compositing [2] options for a realistic and very time accurate rendering of what you may really see (the Moon activity renders an Earth centric view with no knowledge of where on the surface of the planet you may be), but it does try to visually mark the event. Also note in the bottom left, the information panel shows the upcoming luna/sola eclipse time.

Regards,
--Gary

[1] I'm using nice (but fairly small) slice of accurate dataset NASA kindly provide for public use, I've avoided most dynamic algorithms so far as I'm worried they have license terms that break under OSS distribution, and I'm not a lawyer. I do have one set I might be able to use, but it is not as accurate.

[2] Hoping to switch to a different drawing api's so I can do more interesting things with the visuals.