[Sugar-devel] new SoaSv5 test image - Last change to test andfix issues

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 17:14:51 EDT 2011

Art,

3) Main issue #1: Csound "still" uses the new cursor. (I
> gather Csound remains to be rebuilt with (scons option) buildRelease=1. At
> least, that's what Victor Lazzarini says.) Otherwise I'll need to add the
> --old-parser flag to all my (6) activities - which I'd prefer not to do
> uniquely for this release. I'd certainly hope this can be adjusted before
> SoaS5 release.

You've had an email from me about this already. I asked questioned and
"still" don't have a reply. So until I get answers to my questions this
isn't going to be fixed because I still don't know what the problem is.

> 4) Main issue #2: activities only start 50% of the time. This is true
> for *all* activities. It's not clear why an activity will start one time and
> not another (it prints "didn't start" message). With Mango Lassi, this
> happens occasionally/rarely for me; here it happens *a lot*.

Yes, I'm seeing this on a LiveUSB key but not on a standard Fedora 15
install with sugar (same release), it seems to have only started recently,
or maybe regressed more recently, but I'm not sure of what the fix is. It
really needs a Sugar dev to look closer at it but they don't seem to be
interested at the moment.

> I thought maybe this had something to do with the USB drives I'd made with
> LiveUSB Creator. It doesn't. I created two: one 2GB, one 4GB with all memory
> protected.

It might be something to do with the live image vs a full install. It almost
seems timing oriented.

> 5) Noted difference in Journal: hovering over an entry does nothing; a
> right-click on an entry does nothing. Only a left-click resumes the activity
> - normally the one it originated in (see 5 below). Apparently you cannot
> erase from the Journal (except by clicking on the rightmost arrow, to
> another page), nor resume in a different activity any more. I appreciated
> those features.

Different to what? Please be specific otherwise it makes no sense. You could
be saying its different to a tree down the road.

> 6) Record (audio) continues to cause me problems. Record apparently records
> correctly (or does it?) but does not play back. When a recording is
> "resumed" from the Journal, it resumes (not in Record) but in either Surf or
> Etoys, depending on whether it was saved automatically from Record, or as a
> clipping that was kept. In any case, no activity plays the "recorded" file.
> Go figure. (One possibility: Record seems to be interchanging Ogg Vorbis and
> Ogg Speex formats - ugh.) FWIW, here's the complete Record log (seems to
> involve the Dbus and an elapsed timeout):

Does it play in something like totem?

> ** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)
>
> ** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (HippoCanvasBox)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/sugar-activity", line 21, in <module>
>     main.main()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sugar/activity/main.py", line 158,
> in main
>     create_activity_instance(activity_constructor, activity_handle)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sugar/activity/main.py", line 37,
> in create_activity_instance
>     activity = constructor(handle)
>   File "/usr/share/sugar/activities/Record.activity/record.py", line 66, in
> __init__
>     super(Record, self).__init__(handle)
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sugar/activity/activity.py", line
> 328, in __init__
>     warn_if_none=False)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sugar/presence/presenceservice.py", line
> 89, in get_activity
>     dbus_interface=CONN_INTERFACE_ACTIVITY_PROPERTIES)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in
> __call__
>     return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in
> __call__
>     **keywords)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 630, in
> call_blocking
>     message, timeout)
> dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message
> did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
> Exited with status 1, pid 1841 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>', mode 'w'
> at 0xdf70e38>, dbus.ByteArray('1e429af21558998191b528d4c9c3b5572f388430',
> variant_level=1))

dbus_interface=CONN_INTERFACE_ACTIVITY_PROPERTIES

That bit is the same issue we're seeing when Activities don't start, it
could be related.

Peter