[Sugar-devel] Sugar Server project initiation announce

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Fri Jun 10 13:55:10 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 01:08:35PM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at activitycentral.org> wrote:
> > In fact, the project started three weeks ago but for now some of its core
> > purposes became more clear, ie, ready for announcing.
>
> You guys are *weird*.
>
> I've been hearing from AC for a while that you'd help with XS, in
> private, and in grandiloquent public posts. I never received a single
> patch, rpm, or anything usable.
>
> Recently, Aleksey has been hacking on XS things, and that's excellent.
> And I apologize for not being more available -- I am working against
> some very tight and non-negotiable deadlines on the XO-1.75 project.
> Other times I have made myself available aplenty (with David van
> Assche for example).
>
> From Aleksey's efforts, I was expecting some patches, updated spec
> files, some reason to be happy.
>
> Instead, you announce that you fork or start from scratch (unclear to
> me which). There aren't major technical disagreements, or social
> disagreements -- at most you could complain that I've been a bit MIA
> for the last couple weeks.
>
> And you fork after a long long track record of promises -- in private
> and in public -- of working on the XS. Promises that were never
> followed up -- plenty of "cookie licking" if you want. Did anything
> ever happen with the plans announced at
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-sugarteam/2010-October/002451.html
> ?
>
> You also announce this as a 'Sugar project' -- are those discussed
> with the board? If so... is there a 'check with current maintainer'?
> Or people make them up at will?

It is a project started by one of SL contributors, the "Sugar" reflects
on the core idea that make this new project different to the existed
one, i.e., having explicit separation between upstream project and
downstream solutions (based on Sugar Server and made on purposes
according the the local needs). Thus, it is "Sugar" Server. It was
the idea from beginning and I apologise if you got it wrong. Also,
preventing another misunderstanding, it is not an AC project (there will
be AC's Dextrose Server based on Sugar Server) but a project whithin SL
(as I did for all my previous work).

--
Aleksey