[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] multi-selection in journal

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Jun 1 05:31:59 EDT 2011

On 05/31/2011 06:38 AM, Martin Abente wrote:
> Hello Amigos,
>
> Lately I have been working on the support for multi-selection in the
> journal. This feature was originally part of Dextrose3's TODO [1], but
> during EduJAM [2], many people were interested in having it on Sugar
> mainstream, so I will give it a try ;)
>
> I already have a functional prototype running on sugar 0.9.x (check
> video!) [3], its design was based on different ideas and proposals
> [4,5]. My current patch does the minimum required to get this working,
> avoiding any big code re-factoring or massive rewrites (for now).
>
> Anyway, I would like to hear everyone's feedback on the current design!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> tch

Hi Martin,

thanks very much for working on this!

It would be good to attend one of the Design meetings and present to the
people there your work.

A few things that come to my mind at first glance:

I am a bit worried about that once you select an item you get in a
different 'mode', the toolbar does change. What does happen to the entry
palette which contains copy-to/delete/send-to? Is this palette then
disabled in multi-mode?

If you look at GNOME or other desktops if you select more than one item
and do a right click on them you can copy/delete/etc all the selected
entries (even properties (in Sugar detail) or open do work), maybe we
can just do the same and do those actions via the palette? The select
all toggle could be an item in the toolbar.

Regards,
    Simon