[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] copy-to-option in Journal (part of removing the keep button)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Jul 28 07:55:59 EDT 2011

On 07/27/2011 06:00 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi Simon,

>>> I think is better add the Journal in the Copy to submenu when you are in a
>>> device.
>>> Also, probably the Clipboard should be the last option, no the first,
>>>
>>> Gonzalo
>>>

>> I sent new mockups going back to my original design without a 'duplicate entry'. This does 'solve' the issue you raise.
>
> FWIW I do still find 'Copy to ->  Journal' confusing and unexpected. I'd certainly not look for that functionality it in the 'Copy to' sub palette, and even if I did see the Journal icon in there I would assume it was a bug (this object is already in my Journal, why would I want to copy over it).

Ok, accepted, as you are not the only one. Let's keep the duplicate entry.

> I'm beginning to wonder if we should just replace the activity Keep button with a Duplicate button and not try to expose it in the Journal/details view?

Ohh no, everything but not that :-)

> BTW What was wrong with adding a top-level Duplicate toolbar icon to the Details view (to match how Duplicate was at the top level of the Journal object palette)?

Yeah, thought that as well myself this morning, attached are the new
screenshots.

Some words about my decisions:

- the duplicate option is only visible in the Journal entry palette and
the Journal entry detail view, not in the palette and detail view of the
file on the external device

- the duplicate option is colored in the entry color as this exact entry
gets duplicated (in the screenshots we see two entries with different
colors in the same Journal and the color of the option changes
accordingly), I wondered if the icon itself should show actually two
colored objects not only one (duplication)

- the copy-to Journal option in the palette of the file on the external
device is colored in the users color.

- for the copy-to icon I am not sure if colored or black/white makes
more sense, because uncertain I went for b/w

Regards,
    Simon