[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] copy-to-option in Journal (part of removing the keep button)

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 17:57:18 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de>wrote:

> On 06/12/2011 05:22 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
>
>> Hi Manuel,
>>
>> On 12 Jun 2011, at 14:39, manuel quiñones wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,

>>> Sorry I completly missed this thread, I'm attaching the idea I had in
>>> mind for the clipboard, but I think the reusage of the scissors can be
>>> a good choice.  I would prevent a real clipboard icon.
>>>

>> Thanks. OK so that's -2 votes for a clipboard icon (you and Walter), and
>> +2 votes for scissors (you and Simon). Your new clipboard visual is close to
>> something I was also playing with after Walter's comment that he though the
>> icon should indicate/represent the left Frame edge in some way. I'm not sure
>> though that this approach leads to a clear visual for the user to understand
>> (we don't visually indicate places/sides of the Frame in any other cases).
>> Let's see if we get any more feedback from others, but Simon might want to
>> go ahead land a version with the scissors visual if he's ready.
>>
>>  And I tried another design for the duplicate icon, the two objects side
>>> by side.
>>>

>> Yes I like it. More I think than the version I did as it is more visually
>> distinct, especially as the Copy_to and Duplicate icons will sit right next
>> to each other. I've removed the inkscape XML, tidied the code a little and
>> added in the fill/stroke entities for user colour, happy to go with this if
>> there are no other objections:
>>

> I went ahead with the design proposal (use of the scissor icon for the
> clipboard icon and an extra option for the duplicate option) and rebased my
> code. However I run into a few issues I want to explain with the screenshots
> attached.
>
> device.png (the option displayed for a a file on a external device): Do we
> display the duplicate option there as well (duplicate a file on an external
> device)? How is it colored if - black and white because it is not 'owned'?
> We miss here the Journal as an option for the file to be copied to, that can
> be added.
>
> Journal.png: How does the coloring of the clipboard icon looks like? As it
> is only made for one color, coloring it looks strange. Use Manu's icon
> instead? Make it black and white? Change the icon to support double color?
>
> Regards,
>   Simon

Perhaps these comments from
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2011-June/031817.html
were missed:

Thanks. OK so that's -2 votes for a clipboard icon (you and Walter), and +2
>> votes for scissors (you and Simon). Your new clipboard visual is close to
>> something I was also playing with after Walter's comment that he though the
>> icon should indicate/represent the left Frame edge in some way. I'm not sure
>> though that this approach leads to a clear visual for the user to understand
>> (we don't visually indicate places/sides of the Frame in any other cases).
>> Let's see if we get any more feedback from others,
>

> I like manuq's "push item into stack" icon.  It symbolizes the clipboard
> object structure simply.  It is specific to that action.  It reminds one of
> the the Frame's visualization of the clipboard contents (without referring
> to the Frame or a specific location, if that were a problem).
>
> I find myself favoring this over the Scissors icon, which Gary proposed in
> order to reinforce the idea of the Activity Edit toolbar, where copy and
> paste access is the common use case.
> I think this association is not direct, and so, not as quickly grasped.
>  The scissors directly suggests the cut action, and only indirectly is
> associated with the generic editing actions, which are not the only use for
> the clipboard objects.  I don't think the weaker association best serves the
> proposed purposes.
>
> Thanks for these efforts!            --Fred

Color question discussion:

There are some deviations (evolutions?) from the Sugar Human Interface
Guidelines,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Sugar_Interface/Colors

For exemple, the battery icon on an XO is grayscale after startup until it
is fully charged, but then remains colored as the charge drops.  Perhaps
this is a partial implementation of the concept of active vs. inactive
icons,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Sugar_Interface/Icons#Active_vs._Inactive_Icons

In another example, if one views the secondary Resume and Copy toolbar
palettes from the detailed view of a Journal entry for a Terminal session,
one sees a grayscale Terminal icon even though the the resumption will not
be a new, distinct Journal entry.

The secondary Copy palette offers to copy to my SD card, which has a
grayscale icon, even though the Journal tray colors my attached SD card.
Colors would be meaningful here when the attached device is on another Sugar
Learner's system (though we haven't provided a means to discover that in
Sugar, yet. <I am able to browse and use a networked storage device in
Nautilus through the 'Connect to Server...' facility>).

Specific color questions:

How is it colored if - black and white because it is not 'owned'?

The Copy to icon has the owner's color on the second document even if the
copied object bore a different color (came from another Sugar Learner).
This incongruity is perhaps tolerated as the use of color is here slurred to
mean an owned object (which saved the developers from strickly maintaining
the ownership colors).  Manuq's stack insertion icon maintains the same
distinction as the Copy to icon.  The scissors icon is a more distant and
general abstraction and shouldn't have a specific color if it is used (which
I've advised against).

Use Manu's icon instead?

Yes.

Make it black and white? Change the icon to support double color?

The example Manu posted has such a small colored area (just the new stack
entry) that dual colors may be blurred; and the precise ownership meaning
has been relaxed anyway, at this point.  (If in the future someone wanted to
maintain the specific ownership, dual colors would be needed.)

Thank you for your efforts and considering these comments.

         --Fred