[Sugar-devel] I know America

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:20:44 EDT 2011

Alan - I just downloaded this... it is a lot of fun!  Definitely
handy...  I used it to brush up on my Haiti geography.

Some comments - some of which apply to Conozco Uruguay in general:

The interaction with the narrator when answering questions can get confusing.
 -- the timing of him saying "it is not" ... and then giving a hint,
isn't quite clear.   Perhaps you could flash the screen or show a
green/red flag, rather than reusing the text box
 ----> after one error when he gives a hint, the original question is
no longer visible, so if you forgot what he was asking for now you
only see "It is to the southwest"
 -- you can click anywhere on the map - say by accident, in the middle
of the water...
 -- when he stops paying attention to where you click after you get 2
or 3 mistakes, there could be some visual indication that you can no
longer get the question right
 -- the progress bar is neat, but it's would be good to have both a
score and a sense of how many questions are left in this game.  When
the game ends it is a bit abrupt.

SJ

2011/7/19 Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn <alanjas at hotmail.com>:

> ENGLISH: (SPANISH version below)
> Hello!
>
> Yesterday I went to a new activity SugarLabs .. I know America ...
>
> I have long working on this .. Yesterday I got a version 1 ...
>
> What is it? A 32-fold know ...
>
> There are 29 countries in America (the continent are all: Argentina, Belize,
> Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic,
> Ecuador,
> El Salvador, United States, Guatemala, French Guiana, Guyana, Honduras,
> Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Surinam, Venezuela and
> island: Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago).
>
> It also has 3 general maps of North America, Central and South ...
>
> In all countries can explore and play on: departments (or provinces,
> States, etc.), departmental capitals (or ...), Cities and Rios Province.
> There are some countries that do not have all the information, but for
> version 2
> complete.
>
> The activity includes internationalization, that is available in English and
> Spanish (For if a single file, which when installed is shown in the
> respective
> language version of the XO, not that they are 2 different packages.)
>
> The default language is English, that is, for all languages except
> Spanish, the activity is displayed in English.
> In Spanish it is "Conozco America" and in English: "I know America."
>
> The part of Spanish is pretty good, but in English has many details
> in terms of names, since many changes (but most remain
> unchanged: for example, but Brasil is Brazil Montevideo Montevideo).
>
> A change with respect to other I know, is that "insists" with a question
> and again until you "hit" the result has a progress bar ...
> It is a question, if successful, add 10 points. If it fails, is a
> little help, if correct, 5 points, if misses .. next question.
> For each level are 7 questions, hence, that score being "perfect" are
> achieved
> 7x10 points = 70 points. If achieving that score, is a greeting
> otherwise, it calls back to play ...
>
> This version includes a "compass rose" with the cardinal points. It is well
> known
> the maps, it has long been oriented in the same way: the north "up"
> and the south "down" (if a geography teacher read this hit me) .. But it's
> good
> familiar with it ...
>
> Also included is the scale at which the map. This gives an idea of how big
> or
> Small is a country, zone.
> Like most of the maps are made with Conformal Conic projection
> Labert (keep your distance, but not the angles and has 2 parallel which
> deformation is zero) is possible to measure distances on the map and see,
> making a
> simple rule of 3, what is the distance in reality.
> To facilitate the reading of the scale from "0" at the right end of the
> [...]

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266