[Sugar-devel] #2963 UNSP: Sugar telepathy code does not take into account presence status of buddies

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat Jul 16 08:34:21 EDT 2011

On 16 July 2011 12:44, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at activitycentral.org> wrote:
> Since jabber.sl.o is targeiting for dev use cases and the fact that
> everyday resetting (/usr/share/ejjaberd) ejabberd data is not enough to
> prevent kernel killing apps due to lack of memory, I installed prosody
> for jabber.sl.o. Both events were announced on sugar-devel at .

I must have missed the announcements then. Apologies. (I still can't
find them after searching the archives)

I am in full support of experimenting with alternative jabber
implementations, I think that's great and am excited by your work. I
just don't think you should do it so quietly, uncollaboratively, and
on the server that sugar connects to by default.

I also think that your arguments against ejabberd are shallow and
uninformed - suggesting that it can't handle thousands of users just
shows ignorance in the face of the large ejabberd servers that are out
their in production. I know it can be hard to get to grips with the
unconventional design, but time and code investment in solving the
issues that you are facing with ejabberd would be a much less
intrusive fix for our existing users. (not that I want to discourage
experimentation with alternative servers which of course may turn out
to be better in the long run. it may even be less mind-boggling, which
would be great.)

Daniel