[Sugar-devel] Article on "Why files need to die"

Alexandro Colorado jza at openoffice.org
Fri Jul 15 05:13:59 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 4:03 AM, Christoph Derndorfer <
christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just saw this article over on O'Reilly Radar and a lot of what the author
> says also applies to the Journal: "Why files need to die: Files are an
> anachronism in the digital age. It's time for something better." (
> http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/07/why-files-need-to-die.html).
>
> So while it's still early days I definitely feel that the Journal is
> generally moving into the right direction, especially with all the new
> features and whatnot discussed during the eduJAM! summit:-)

I am not purely convinced on eliminating the files paradigm, maybe the
folders would be a different conversation. But files are well... pretty
obiquos. Since you seem very interesting in having this paradigm of a
journal. I wonder if you got inspired out of Zeitgeist project in gnome (I
think they rename it now to something more normal like gnome-journal or
something).
I would like to hear your validation of the journal and why is it a good
idea, and how deep will this change goes beyond the UI and apps to a
commandline environment.

> Cheers,
> Christoph
>
> --