[Sugar-devel] Introduction

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 28 14:57:34 EST 2011

Hi Mike,

On 28 Jan 2011, at 18:56, Mike Rehner <babarehner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a retired high school computer science teacher from Columbus, Ohio, USA. My background includes both computer science and instructional design. I would like to volunteer 8-12 hours a week to work with the Activity Team. I am looking to start something very small while I slowly set up my dev environment and become familiar with Sugar Labs.

Just wanted to say welcome!

Fab, I see you've already found the Activity Team pages on the wiki, that should lead you to the resources to get you up and running. Once you have your dev environment running comfortably (I use a mix of XO-1 laptops and my Mac laptop running a VirtualBox VM of Fedora with Sugar installed as its desktop) one way to help contribute could be to adopt an un-maintained Activity. This usually involves:

- getting familiar with Python, and some GTK+
- learning enough git to get you by using the repositories at http://git.sugarlabs.org
- keeping an eye on tickets filed at http://bugs.sugarlabs.org for your adopted Activity
- releasing .xo bundles from time to time at http://activities.sugarlabs.org
- uploading the source to http://download.sugarlabs.org so distro packagers have easy access