[Sugar-devel] inquiring for possibility to make sugar run in parabola (arch linux)

Erkan Yilmaz erkan77 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 13:31:17 EST 2011

Hello,

I was asked to post this also here.

1. message below is posted at the moment at Parabola mailing list (1)
2. message follows:

Hello,

seems sugar not possible yet in Parabola, see install tutorial here (1).
But some users from #sugar channel offered help (copy + paste with
permission).
If someone wants to contact them, feel free or forward elsewhere

Erkan YILMAZ

1. see install tutorial here (1)
2. copy + paste with permission:

<Erkan_Yilmaz_> Hi, when I run "./sugar-jhbuild update" I get error:
"Refusing to run as root."  -> I found only pastebin entries for this -
looking at script seem getuid or geteuid make trouble
<Erkan_Yilmaz_> I am on parabola linux (it's basically arch)

<Erkan_Yilmaz_> how could I proceed, besides uncommenting that part of code
:-(
<silbe> Erkan_Yilmaz_: by running sugar-jhbuild as user instead of root
<Erkan_Yilmaz_> silbe, thx for replying: I am running as normal user
<silbe> Erkan_Yilmaz_: what does "id" say?

<silbe> Erkan_Yilmaz_: Arch Linux isn't supported by sugar-jhbuild, sorry
(though that isn't the error you're hitting right now - it would complain
after you fix the current issue)
<Erkan_Yilmaz_> silbe, I see, I found so far on arch:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sugar

<silbe> Erkan_Yilmaz_: no idea why that page links to sugar-jhbuild, but it
will definitely refuse to work because there's no config for Arch Linux.
<Erkan_Yilmaz_> thanks for your time silbe
<Erkan_Yilmaz_> let#s see what I come up with
<silbe> Erkan_Yilmaz_: yw. BTW, if someone is willing to maintain the config
file (list of dependencies), I'd be happy to let sugar-jhbuild support Arch
Linux. But it would need to be on a long-term basis - we had Mandriva
support in the past, but as I have neither a Mandriva install nor Mandriva
knowledge myself, it got outdated and had to be removed (because it wouldn't
work anyway).
<alsroot> Erkan_Yilmaz_: btw, if there is arch backend for PackageKit, addin
arch support to sweets will be a work of a couple of minutes..
<silbe> Erkan_Yilmaz_: but unless you're going to hack on Sugar core,
sugar-jhbuild isn't really the right tool for the job anyway...
<Erkan_Yilmaz_> thx alsroot silbe
<Erkan_Yilmaz_> I was trying to get it running
<Erkan_Yilmaz_> "just"
<Erkan_Yilmaz_> but I could forward your guys info?
<silbe> sure, go ahead
<Erkan_Yilmaz_> do I have permission to quote you guys?
<silbe> of course
<Erkan_Yilmaz_> thx, how about you alsroot ?
<alsroot> Erkan_Yilmaz_: sure, if will use sweets (ie, 0install/PackageKit),
just let me know

(1) http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Jhbuild

(1)
http://list.parabolagnulinux.org/pipermail/dev-parabolagnulinux.org/2011-January/000864.html

--
Find me at:

LinkedIn http://de.linkedin.com/in/yilmazerkan/en<http://www.linkedin.com/in/yilmazerkan>
XING https://www.xing.com/profile/Erkan_Yilmaz2

blog http://IaskQuestions.com
http://www.systemswiki.org
Systems Thinking World Group:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2639211&trk=anet_ug_hm

gnu/linux user #500092

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in
error)
please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Diese eMail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte
Informationen.
Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese eMail irrtuemlich
erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese
Mail.
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht
gestattet.