[Sugar-devel] Html browse widget for runtime help

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sun Jan 23 12:17:23 EST 2011

On 23 January 2011 15:58, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to chime in here to give a different slant. Any time I see something that requires a help document, I immediately consider is as a band-aid for some level of failure in the UI design. Now no design is ever perfect, and there are cases where text becomes necessary, but the more documentation needed, the more the UI is likely failing.

Agreed, the idea of a document is usually not what we're looking for
when working with young children.

For activities that need to give some kind of basic instruction I'd
strongly recommend looking at Implode's "help" implementation for
inspiration. In my opinion there's no clearer way to communicate the
principles of that activity.

Daniel